Skip navigation and go to main content

City College

International Student Center
Sacramento City College

F-1 Employment






Work Authorization for Non-Immigrants in Lawful Status


F-1 Students


On-Campus employment


·         Limited to 20 hours or less per week but may be full-time during vacation.

·         Must be enrolled full-time (12 units).

·         Must be in good academic standing.

·         May work only for SCC or off-campus sites designated as “educationally affiliated by contract”.  Please consult with SCC.

·         International students are not eligible for “work study” positions.  For information about available on-campus (student help) job, go to SCC Job Services, RN-147.

·         Work authorization is incidental to status.  Specific. US. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) approval is not required for on-campus employment.

·         Employment eligibility ends after completion of studies except for employment authorized under optional practical training or if the student has been issued a new I-20 for a new program.

Curricular Practical Training

·         Student must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year

·         Work must be related/integral part to your listed SCC major.  Also, CPT Work Experience class must carry academic credit and/or be listed in the SCC College catalog in the major requirement.

·         Student must maintain 12 units while on CPT and Work Experience course units maybe counted in the 12 units.

·         Work is authorized by SCC on page 3 of the SEVIS I-20.


Optional Practical Training

·         Student must have been in valid F-1 status for a minimum of 9 months.

·         Employment must be directly related to student’s academic field of study and commensurate with student’s educational level.

·         Employment is limited to 12 months per academic program.  Optional practical training must be applied for before the completion of academic program and needs to be completed within a 14 months period following completion of studies.

·         Full-time of part-time employment is available during

o  Vacation periods, if student is currently enrolled and intends to register for the next term, or

o  After completion of all course work, or

o  After completion of studies for Associate Degree or Career Certificate

·         Work is authorized by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) on an Employment Authorization Card (EAD).


Employment based on economic hardship:

·         Student must establish need caused by documenting unforeseen circumstance beyond control.

·         Student must have made a ‘good faith” effort to locate on-campus employment.

·         Must be in good academic standing.

·         Must be a full-time student.

·         Work limited to 20 hours/week except during vacation periods.

·         Work authorization is awarded in one-year intervals by USCIS (must be documented) on an EAD.  It is renewable if the need continues to exist and the student is maintaining full-time status.

F-2 Spouse or Children under 21

·         Non-immigrants in F-2 status may not work in the U.S., not even on campus.

Sacramento City College
3835 Freeport Boulevard · Sacramento, California 95822
This page was last updated: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 10:46:12 AM